Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Qualified! What a Joke

Just a short one from a post on Aussie Yabber! People are convinced a 9 day whso course qualifies you to be a construction safety officer! Well I studied for 15 years at night and inspected many a construction site and asbestos removal sites and I can tell you right now a 9 day course is a piece of crap and anyone that thinks they are qualified in safety by doing it, is a joke themselves.

The Queensland Workplace Health and Safety is pathetic and you can see the results of people thinking they are qualified after 9 days, death, injury and illness and just look at Nambour it's hit a record for deaths recently!

But then with Safety Institute not requiring it's members to be qualified why would we expect any different in the workplace?????

This is a total reflection of the lack of professionalism in the Safety Institute of Australia and I call on them now to raise the standards of safety so it can be recognised as a true profession in the true sense of the definition and move safety forward.

But as it is the Safety Institute of Australia has developed it's own absolutely pathetic entrance test so it can keep it's buddies in power without qualifications bringing the whole safety field down to being unprofessional.

Sad that the results are death, injury and illness for the workers!

Regards
Daniel

G'Day Everyone,

I am at present conducting a Workplace Health and Safety Officer (WHSO) Qld course and it is amazing some of the things that some of the students are telling me that they are being advised by their OHS Managers etc.

I have one who has been told by their OHS manager in another state that the NSW "green card" construction induction is accepted nationally. I don't know what the other states are like but this is definately not the case in Qld.

They are also being told that to be a qualified WHSO in Qld it is just a three day course. In actual fact to be a qualified construction WHSO it is nine days all told.

I don't personally know other state's legislation that well but the fact is that I don't have to in my role. I would think though that if you were a national company etc you would make it your business to know as you are advising on a national basis and not just state.

I have been noticing a couple of the posts on electrical equipment testing and tagging and I know there are definately differences between states as well.

This is not a gripe at individuals, just an observation but I think it shows a lack of the knowledge base that is out there.

Lucky I am here teaching my students the right way .

Catch ya

Rod
Reply With Quote

No comments: